As a member of the Key Account organization of the Global Sales and Services business unit, the Field Process Engineer is the on-site process application expert to support the customer in expanding film opportunities on our installed products. In this role, he/she drives the process development projects and new product introductions with the customer. The Process Engineer is a technical bridge between the customer process development teams and the Business Unit.
Accountability in this role is critical. The Field Process Engineer is a key customer interface and must demonstrate responsibility, authority, and proper communication when interacting with the customer at all times. Delivering customer satisfaction is a key objective of this role.
- New Product Introduction (NPI):
- Undergoes training with the Business Unit to build expertise on newly developed processes (Epitaxy) and hardware. Owns the introduction/transfer of these processes to the customer site.
- Work closely with the field hardware teams and Business Unit to support and troubleshoot issues on new products, including developing proposals for equipment and process design improvements, as well as conducting those experiments in conjunction with the customer.
- Escalates issues, as needed, to ensure a timely resolution and to maintain the project timeline/scope.
- Documents learnings during NPI and works with the Business Unit to ensure learnings are incorporated in future IQ/hardware/process rollout packages. Documents the learnings for subsequent knowledge transfer to the local service team at manufacturing sites.
- On-site process development:
- Support Customer epitaxial processes and hardware development (both new development and CIP – continuous improvement projects). Works closely with the Customer to design and conduct experiments to meet the Customer’s need (new development, CIP, troubleshooting).
- Analyze current baseline process and system performance; identify gaps with respect to technology node requirements.
- Perform problem assessment and root cause analysis of system performance issues (non-conformances) at customer site.
- Works with the customer to develop new opportunities for processes and hardware introduction at the Customer site.
- HVM process transfer:
- Responsible for process transfer to HVM fabs and transfer of product knowledge to the local service organization.
- Documents and maintains the process and hardware learnings from the development phase and develops/transfers best known methods (BKMs) to the HVM site teams.
- Candidates at all levels (B.S., M.S, and PhD) with a degree in physical chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or physics will be considered.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience for which comparable knowledge, skills and ability has been achieved in the areas of processing, developing and characterizing epitaxially deposited films of Si, Ge, SiGe, or III-V materials (GaAs, GaN, InGaAs, etc).
- Good knowledge of and experience with semiconductor device applications, vacuum techniques, film characterization and metrology techniques, and epitaxial deposition processes and equipment. Preference will be given to candidates who have a demonstrated history of optimizing epitaxial deposition and process development, preferably with Epi equipment.
- Strong experience with advanced troubleshooting/structured problem analysis methodologies (KT/FMEA/7-step/Ishikawa diagrams/etc.)
- Strong experience designing and conducting experiments, in addition to measuring and interpreting experimental output, aimed at fulfilling stated objectives using DOEs and statistical methods.
- Proactively support escalations, develop and manage action plans, and ensure clear communication between customer, service team, business unit, or other sub-suppliers.
- Ability to travel, as necessary and possibly for extended periods of time, to the Business Unit for training and technical engagement, as well as to the Customer sites, as needed. The primary Customer focus will be at a site in Hillsboro, Oregon.
- In case of beta qualifications or escalations, additional hours and working weekends will be required.
- Must understand the Intellectual Property boundaries between the company and the Customer and be able to maintain IP, as appropriate, during all external and internal interactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to clearly communicate advanced technical constructs in direct and concise manner.