In this role reporting to Senior Director Surface Technology, you will work with other global technology team members including materials scientists, equipment engineers, process, quality and field service engineers as well as external customers to solve time critical or strategic technology challenges and develop unique advanced solutions in collaborative partnerships.
The position requires the individual to:
- Drive improvements in Thermal & Plasma Enhanced ALD system component longevity, stability, refurbishment / service strategy and process performance to enable reliable and efficient deposition of a range of next generation advanced thin film materials exhibiting various electrical & physical properties.
- Work independently to develop new approaches to clean, coat, protect and refurbish internal ALD chamber components to improve performance, lifetime, defectivity and CoO for customers processing various materials for use as functional/active layers in semiconductor device stacks.
- Connect process conditions, physical characterization, and electrical response towards understanding of mechanisms.
- Specify, procure and develop state-of-the-art advanced process equipment.
- Formulate new protective and release coating formulations.
- Leverage advanced knowledge of various wet & dry clean process methodologies, atmospheric & vacuum based etch & surface treatment approaches and utilize expertise in a range of surface / bulk characterization methods.
- Direct / manage projects & relationships with critical 3rd party suppliers & supporting institutions.
- Have a passion for surface engineering processes, be inquisitive to drive projects & root-cause failure investigations whilst being systematic & entrepreneurial in mind-set.
- Demonstrate experience within a high volume semiconductor clean room environment.
- Be based within the Phoenix AZ campus but open to travel (10-50%) to customer and supplier global sites when necessary.
- Ph.D or Master’s degree involving an appropriate thin film deposition technique whilst studying Materials Science, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering or similar technical / scientific field.
- Minimum 2-5 years of industrial experience in ALD (atomic layer deposition), PECVD (plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition) or PVD (physical vapor deposition) technology, semiconductor materials design or physical and electrical characterization for advanced memory & processor applications / related fields.
- Complementary expertise in semiconductor clean, etch and thermal spray approaches highly advantageous.
- Solid understanding of Design-of-Experiments execution and statistical data analysis.
- Familiarity with common thin-film & chemical characterization & metrology techniques including: Optical microscopy, SEM, TEM, XRD, Ellipsometry, XPS / AES as well as ICP-MS, particle analysis, sheet resistance probe analysis etc.
- Ability to engage with customers both on a highly technical basis and personally.
- Self-motivated, results-oriented with high commitment to work quality in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to solve complex analytical problems and provide robust solutions based on solid technical background.